Seemingly on the heels of the just released Exchange 2010 SP3, Update Rollup 1 (RU1) was just released by Microsoft last week. This RU addresses a number of issues previously fixed by individual hot fixes, and is definitely something everyone wants to apply, but particularly if you have a population of iOS users that you are supporting with Exchange ActiveSync or are planning to do a lot of moves from older servers to your newly updated SP3 servers.
While not on the same very aggressive update release schedule as Exchange 2013, Exchange 2010 has seen roughly one service pack a year and several RUs. Exchange 2010 SP2 saw the release of RU6 just a short time ago. Update Rollups, or RUs, are intended to provide admins with a single installable that includes all the patches that have been released since the last RU, and that’s just what RU1 does. Here’s a list of what is included in RU1.
- 2561346 Mailbox storage limit error when a delegate uses the manager’s mailbox to send an email message in an Exchange Server 2010 environment
- 2729954 Can’t send voice message to a selected non-primary email address in an Exchange Server 2010 environment
- 2750846 Information Store service crashes when you mount public folder databases on an Exchange Server 2010 server
- 2751628 Event ID 9682 does not record the folder name when you delete a public folder in an Exchange Server 2010 environment
- 2756460 You cannot open a mailbox that is located in a different site by using Outlook Anywhere in an Exchange Server 2010 environment
- 2763065 Move request log is logged when you move a mailbox in an Exchange Server 2010 SP2 environment
- 2777742 Address Book service crashes on an Exchange Server 2010 Client Access server when a server has been running for 25 days or more
- 2781488 RPC_S_SERVER_UNAVAILABLE (0x6BA) error code when you use a MAPI or CDO-based application in an Exchange Server 2010 environment
- 2782683 Email message that a user sends by using the “Send As” or “Send On Behalf” permission is saved only in the Sent Items folder of the sender in an Exchange Server 2010 environment
- 2784210 Ethical wall does not function as expected when the ReportToOriginatorEnabled property is disabled in an Exchange Server 2003 and Exchange Server 2010 coexistence environment
- 2793348 Read receipt is sent unexpectedly when you view an email message by using Outlook Web App
- 2796490 Microsoft Exchange Information Store service crashes on an Exchange Server 2010 Mailbox server
- 2802569 Mailbox synchronization fails on an Exchange ActiveSync device in an Exchange Server 2010 environment
- 2806602 EdgeTransport.exe process crashes on an Exchange Server 2010 Hub Transport server
- 2814723 Server loses network connectivity and UDP ports are used up on an Exchange Server 2010 server
- 2814847 Rapid growth in transaction logs, CPU use, and memory consumption in Exchange Server 2010 when a user syncs a mailbox by using an iOS 6.1 or 6.1.1-based device
- 2816934 Error code 0X800CCC13 when an additional POP3 or IMAP account is used to send an email message and Outlook online mode is used to connect to an Exchange Server 2010 environment
- 2817140 Exchange Replication service crashes intermittently in an Exchange Server 2010 environment
- 2817852 Cyrillic characters are displayed as question marks in the “To” field of message items in the Sent Items folder in an Exchange 2010 environment
- 2818456 Attachments are missing from an embedded message in an Exchange Server 2010 SP2 environment
- 2822208 Unable to soft delete some messages after installing Exchange 2010 SP2 RU6 or SP3
- 2826066 VSAPI-based antivirus software causes delayed response in an Exchange Server 2010 environment
- 2827037 Copy of an item is created in the Version subfolder in an Exchange Server 2010 environment
- 2833888 No items are displayed in Outlook after you install Exchange Server 2010 SP3 or Update Rollup 6 for Exchange Server 2010 SP2
- 2840099 ArgumentOutOfRangeException exception when an EWS application creates a new MIME email in an Exchange Server 2010 environment
RU1 also addresses a known issue with iOS devices using Exchange ActiveSync where synchronizing these devices consumes large amounts of resources on a server and causes extreme log growth. iOS 6.1 and 6.1.1 devices can hammer a CAS server when using EAS, and while it’s an Apple issue that they fixed in 6.1.2, trying to get all your BYOD users to update their phones may not be as easy as patching your servers to quickly get in front of the issue. A more Machiavellian approach might be to block unpatched Apple devices completely, but fortunately RU1 keeps you from taking such an extreme measure.
RU1 also fixes an issue with move requests that logs a “Completed with Warnings” message. This is a bug in the MRS service that can cause moves to log errors and also to take much longer to complete, as the MRS service tries repeatedly with 30 second pauses between each attempt to complete the move.
The last big issue that RU1 fixes has to do with users’ inability to delete certain messages. The main problem messages appear to be from fax systems that attach PDF files as the output of an incoming fax. If you have users who cannot delete received faxes from their inbox, this is definitely the RU for you.
Preferred practices are to patch all systems to the same level, so please consider installing RU1 on all your Exchange 2010 SP3 servers. And of course, if you are not running all your Exchange servers on SP3 yet, you will want to address that first. While the download of Exchange 2010 SP3 includes the binaries and the SP, RUs are much smaller and only contain the updates and patches for their specific version. If you try to apply this RU to a server not already running SP3, it will fail. Patch your Edge, then your CAS, then your Hub Transport, and finally your mailbox servers, covering any UC servers whenever you want.
Keeping your servers fully up to date is not only a best practice, it is the best way to ensure that you stay within a fully supported state. Apply RU1 to your test systems, ensure any third party or custom code is working properly, and then get your production systems up to date. You can download RU1 from http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2803727. Once patched your servers will be running build 14.03.0146.000.